Monday, June 28, 2004

Singapore airport the perfect place for a holiday

Well Bali is all wrapped up and I'm sitting at the Singapore airport killing time till a flight.
All up what can I say Bali was beautiful, sprawling ricefields as far as the eye can see were spread out within kilometers of where I was staying. Cut into the hill with such precision, and using such incredible irrigation techniques its amazing to think that people have been doing it this very way for hundreds of years.
The people were friendly and warm ,you really didn't experience any of the pushy "buy buy" stuff, I've heard about, though once you got down into the town that changed a bit.
Overall the place was a little too quiet for my tastes, and I enjoyed sitting round doing nothing, but at the same time had a strong desire to just go and get really, really messed up.
I certainly got used to having 2 housekeepers who provided meals 3 times a day, and cleaned my room, as well as a crazy night watchman, and a competent driver who gt you things at "bali prices", not "tourist prices".
The amount of money these people earn is amazing, the housekeepers were on what translated to about $85 Australian dollars a month, and this was considered a pretty decent wage,. Can't say I'm sad to leave, but was an experience none the less, that was substantially different from what I expected Bali to be. Oh and the drivers were fucking nuts・seriously.

Anyway flight was uneventful, reading up the latest god only knows what, and now I have 5 hours to kill til lI fly into Japan, and the language barrier is starting to worry me.

I love Singapore airport, its big, its open 24/7 and it has everything the heart desires and so much more, next holidays I'm coming to "Singapore airport" for a few days of shopping and mayhem.
So I was wondering around aimlessly, as you do with 5 hours to kill, looking for a way to blow my final Singapore currency (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it), and what do I encounter, but a "life action performance of Spiderman", starring people in costumes, lots of jumping about, a wholesome message about crime not paying・it had it all. It was really well done and both the small children and I enjoyed it immensely, and for those of you who actually knew how to talk to girls in high school. It was full of comic book references, and at the end their was a pop quiz and they were giving away stuff, I decided it would probably bruise my self esteem in the long run, once the instant self gratification wore off, if I were to deprive some small children of cheap merchandise, and used that as an appropriate opportunity to leave.
I'd finally run out of things to read, needed something packed with drug references or maybe pop culture, and with little surprise I was unable to find anything by Hunter S Thompson, ・o I settled on reefer madness, its not bad, though a little bit 'left' for my taste.
Next on the agenda was a couple of hours in the "smokers bar" (classy name huh), listening to some very average blues played by a couple of Singapore guys, the bacardi and coke as horribly overpriced, and due to the fact im going to be getting on a plane, taking a sleeping pill and trying to rest before landing in Toyko nice and early・ was remarkably restrained. (pats self on back).
At about this moment I really feel like a cigar and maybe a massage, but seem to be unable to find a place to buy Cubans・life is full of small disappointments・
Well I'm off, take care all・and wish me luck with the Japanese public transport system.
Later
\\Gids

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home